Calls for Entry
SAUL BELL DESIGN AWARD RIO GRANDE LINK TO APPLY
The Saul Bell Design Award competition is open to designers and hollowware artists from across the globe except those from countries the U.S. is prohibited from doing business with by the State Department. We cannot accept entries from the following countries: Crimean Peninsula, Cuba, Iran, Sudan, Burma, Cote D'Ivoire (Ivory Coast), North Korea, Syria, Balkan Countries (Serbia, Albania, Bosnia, Croatia, Macedonia, Kosovo), Belarus, Democratic Republic of Congo, Liberia, Iraq and Zimbabwe. Employees of Rio Grande or of any affiliate company and their immediate family members may not participate.
The entry fee for all categories (except Emerging Jewelry Artist) is:
$75 through September 15, 2017
$125 September 16 through October 26, 2017
*The fee for Emerging Jewelry Artist entries is $25 per entry through October 26, 2017.
- Do not list your name, company name, logo or other identifying information in your description or photo.
- Use high-quality images with a plain background and good lighting.
- Only one photograph or rendering may be entered per registration. The photo or rendering may show multiple views in one 300-dpi JPEG or PDF file no larger than 10 megabytes (MB).
- Make sure the piece is completely finished and all surfaces are polished well.
- Pieces should be photographed alone. Do not prop, add extra design elements or showcase on a model.
- Multiple photo images can be compiled into one photo submission to show different angles or design elements of the piece.
Each submission must include the following information:
- Name of piece
- Type of jewelry
- Materials used, including:
- Metal(s) type, karat
- Stone(s) type, size/carat weight, shape
- Other material(s)
- Bead(s) quantity, type, size
- Description, limited to 800 characters (including spaces and punctuation) or less, including:
- Concept/design development
- Techniques used
- Steps taken to complete the piece (cast, fabricated, forged, assembled, etc.)
- Inspiration behind the piece
FINAL DESIGNS MUST
- Consist of one item or one related set of items per entry
- Be composed predominantly of the material specified in the chosen category
- Be the artist's original design
- Not have won an award in any other competition prior to Oct. 26, 2017
- Include one high-resolution photograph or rendering: 300-dpi JPEG or PDF; 10-megabyte (MB) maximum
- Include the name and description of the piece (limited to 800 characters which includes spaces and punctuation)
- Not include a personal name, company name, or other identifying information in the description of your piece
- Include payment for each entry registration fee
ENTRIES WILL BE JUDGED ON
- Innovation and originality
- Successful incorporation of materials
- Wearability (except for hollowware entries)
- Quality of workmanship